Driving in winter might be more thrilling if your steering wheel is heated. It increases potential safety and comfort while driving by giving drivers more comfort, keeping hands warm, and preventing sliding.
But there are so many options, and you are still determining which one is right for you.
In this article, find out which Ford models come with a heated steering wheel option, and find out about the three suitable options if your Ford didn’t come with the feature. Also, find the pros and cons of having a heated steering wheel.
- Options include getting a heated steering wheel harness, an aftermarket heated steering wheel, and a heated steering wheel cover.
- With the help of a heated steering wheel harness, you can install the heating system to your steering wheel.
- Installing an aftermarket heated steering wheel process is complex.
- Installing a heated steering wheel cover is one of the easiest options.
Which Ford Models Have A Heated Steering Wheel
The majority of high-end Ford vehicles come equipped with a heated steering wheel. All the top trim levels available for most Ford vehicles have this feature, which is offered as standard equipment.
The list of Ford models with the heated steering wheel is enormous and consists of Explorers, Broncos, Escapes, and much more.
However, here we are interested in Ford F-150s.
The F-150 that offers the heated steering wheel feature is:
- F-150 Lariat
- F-150 King Ranch
- F-150 Platinum
- F-150 Limited
- F-150 Raptor
- F-150 Lightning Lariat
- F-150 Lightning Platinum
Here is a list of F-150 vehicles that has a heated steering wheel as an option:
- F-150 Tremor – $7,665 (part of the Tremor High pack)
- F-150 Lightning XLT – $5,000 (part of the 312A equipment group)
And here is the list of F-150 vehicles that don’t have the feature available:
- F-150 XL
- F-150 XLT
- F-150 Lightning Pro
For those that don’t have the heated steering wheel available, there is a solution!
There are several options for adding a heated steering wheel; we will talk about them in a moment!
Keep reading to find out what your options are!
Can You Install A Heated Steering Wheel To Ford F-150?
The short answer is – yes, of course, you can add a heated steering wheel to your F-150!
However, there are multiple options. To decide which one to go with, you should carefully consider all of them.
Keep reading to find out about the heated steering wheel options.
Option 1. Heated Steering Wheel Harness
The heated steering wheel harness is your friend to satisfy your desire for a heated wheel.
This feature is available for 2015 models of Ford vehicles, and you have to install the OEM in your Ford. Then, with the help of a heated steering wheel harness, you can install the heating system, and there you go.
This whole process you can do by yourself. However, you can also give it to a professional, which is advisable.
Option 2. Purchasing An Aftermarket Heated Steering Wheel
This is for those who want to feel they purchased the car with that function. However, a replacement like this requires the help of a professional.
Installing an aftermarket heated steering wheel process is complex; it requires changing the board, many wires in the engine, and several other inputs, making it very complicated.
There is another reason you should go with professional help; there are a lot of aftermarket solutions, and you can’t know with 100% certainty that you will choose the right one.
Option 3. Heated Steering Wheel Covers
Installing a heated steering wheel cover is one of the easiest options, and it is not as costly. It costs less than the first two options.
It is straightforward to get an excellent heated steering wheel cover; for example, you can opt for a leather steering wheel cover with a plugin, which you then plug into your vehicle, and it starts heating.
Besides the heating feature, these covers will also change your interior, so you can adapt it to whatever you like. And, of course, it will protect your steering wheel. Win-win!
Pros & Cons Of Having Heated Steering Wheel
There are several advantages and disadvantages of having a heated steering wheel in your Ford F-150.
Let’s review them.
Advantages Of Having A Heated Steering Wheel
- The heated steering wheel keeps your hands warm and offers much-needed relief from the cold throughout the winter, letting you drive more easily,
- increases grip strength and lessens wrist strain,
- enhances your ability to respond quickly when driving, making both you and other drivers safer,
- decreases the effort required to maintain a firm hold on the steering wheel, which in turn lessens fatigue during extended rides,
- appears to be a typical feature of expensive cars,
- most automakers make it simple and even doable at home with the proper equipment to install a steering wheel, and
- have settings that may be changed and also have customizable features.
Disadvantages Of Having A Heated Steering Wheel
- These might put additional stress on your car’s battery since they need enough power to stay warm,
- occasionally, excessive steering might be uncomfortable,
- if not controlled, prolonged usage without maintaining the optimum temperature might result in fire danger,
- it could not be as efficient as other heating solutions, including heated seats or seat warmers, and
- occasionally, the improper installation might obstruct the deployment of an airbag.
Luna Meschiari is a full-blooded car nut who is well known to local garages, as each article is meticulously researched and peppered with the latest piece of information. Guess what car she’s driving right now? A RAV4 2021 Hybrid. But her heart also sleeps for pickups like the F-150. Get to know Luna better on the about us page.